Thursday, July 28, 2011

There are fish in the river!

Guess I'm getting pretty excited about fishing this summer! This morning I drove over to Hood Canal to scope out the Skok, The Skokomish River, that is. Fishing for Chinooks starts August 1st and I wanted to see if there are any fish. As luck would have it I arrived at low tide and no fish were visible from the SR-106 bridge due to the shallow water and the lack of any deep holes at that particular spot so I went into Shelton to see what activity they were having at the hatchery, the destination of these beautiful fish as this is a hatchery supplemented fishery. The holding pond easily had two hundred big, bright salmon and a few trout swimming about so I am optimistic that I'm going to have an excellent couple of months on the river! This is combat fishing at it's best, or worst, depending on your point of view. The banks of the river will be crowded with eager nimrods hoping to take home a nice King Salmon (Chinook). I will be there as well! I think I'd better go tie some leaders now! Hope to see you on the river.

No comments: