Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Canada is another country!

When a North American calling plan failed to connect for me on a prior trip to Canada, a quick call to customer service and I was informed that I was in another country! I was not able to convince the young woman that I was still in North America so my phone should work! My phone wouldn't work in Alaska, either! So much for truth in advertising

Canada is very much like us and very much not like us. We are having a wonderful time. The country is beautiful, the people are friendly and the pace of life seems somewhat less frenetic. Many towns here in southern Ontario still have wonderful old original buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries. We love it. There are lots of farms and lots of space. Forests, water and rocks abound.

A common sight as we travel through Ontario is the ubiquitous Chip Truck or Fries Truck or stand. Prior to this trip I have had fries with ketchup and tarter sauce but never with gravy. Actually, they are quite tasty with gravy and we have enjoyed partaking of the local cuisine and enjoying some of the culinary differences between our two countries. A popular dish here is call poutine, french fries or chips as they are called here, covered with fresh cheese curds and then covered with gravy. We first had this dish in Quebec, thanks Marcel. Today, in Sudbury, we found poutine being sold in Costco. Yes, Costco, a different menu perhaps but still Costco. Canada is still very much like us. Vive la difference!

No comments: